Accidents cause a large number of injuries and fatalities in Arizona. If your accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may need to know more about Arizona negligence laws. Negligence laws play a role in filing a personal injury claim, and they affect how much compensation you can receive for your accident and injuries.

Before starting on your personal injury claim, make sure you know all the laws and rules that will affect your case.

The Civil Statute of Limitations in Arizona

The first law you need to know about that will affect your personal injury claim is known as the statute of limitations. Arizona gives an injury victim up to two years to file a claim against a negligent party. Failure to bring your claim within the allotted time limit will result in a dismissal of your case.

Arizona Damage Caps

Many states have damage caps, which are limits on the amount of money you can receive in an injury claim. Arizona does not cap damages in any injury claims, including claims brought against the government or for medical malpractice. However, the government and some medical practitioners do have immunity from lawsuits in some situations.

Wrongful Death Claims

A fatal accident is a traumatic event and you are permitted to file a claim when the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence. The law in Arizona allows family members to submit a claim for wrongful death, such as the spouse, children, parents, and a personal representative of the deceased person’s estate.

Dog Bites

Arizona law does permit you to sue a dog owner for a dog bite or injury. The owner of a dog can be held liable for any injury you receive by a dog so long as you were lawfully in a private location or you were in public when the injury occurred.

Reach Out to an Arizona Personal Injury Lawyer

Arizona negligence laws are complex, and it’s a good idea to talk with a lawyer about your case. Call a personal injury lawyer in Arizona today to receive a free case assessment. The Law Offices of Michael Cordova can be reached using the form below or by dialing 602-265-6700.