Forms of Birth Injuries
- Bruising - The use of forceps or a vacuum can cause bruising to the infant's head. If forceps are not used correctly, they can cause a depression in the skull which will require surgery.
- Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - A bright red band appears around the iris of the infant's eyes. There is no damage to the eye, and the condition should clear up in about a week.
- Caput Succedaneum - Caput Succedaneum is the severe swelling of the baby's scalp due to vacuum extraction. The swelling usually goes down after a few days.
- Cephalohematoma - This is the bleeding between the bone and its fibrous covering, which is typically seen on an infant's head. It normally clears up and heals after a few weeks.
- Facial Paralysis - Pressure to the infant's face during delivery or birth may injure facial nerves. If the nerves are only bruised, the paralysis may clear up in a few weeks or months. If the nerves are seriously damaged, surgery may be required to repair the nerves.
- Brachial Palsy Injuries - This is a loss of movement or a weakness in the arms caused by damage to the group of nerves around the shoulder. Depending on the severity of the damage, physical therapy and surgery may be needed.
- Fractured Bones - The most common fracture is to the collar bone. Infants can quickly recover if their arm is immobilized.
- Brain Injury - Oxygen deprivation can cause brain damage, seizure disorders, cerebral palsy, or mental and developmental impairment.
We are able to resolve the overwhelming majority of our cases relatively promptly and without ever having to go to court. However, there are a number of reasons why we would recommend litigation to our clients. When that occurs, our office will thoroughly explain the litigation process, including the risks, benefits, and how it relates to your case before we file litigation. For more detailed information, please review our Litigation Process Pages.
The long term effects of birth injuries can be devastating for a family. If you or a loved one has had this unfortunate experience, please contact The Law Offices of Michael Cordova to speak with a Birth Injury Lawyer about your rights and possible compensation. You can contact the Law Offices of Michael Cordova at 602-265-6700.
Our attorneys not only work on birth injury cases but in other Personal Injury areas, as well as Motor Vehicle Accidents, Wrongful Death, dog bites, product and premises liability, and criminal defense and DUI, so please contact your local Phoenix attorneys for a free consultation.
*Contingent fees are charged on total recovery. **No Fee Guarantee applies in the event there is no recovery.