July 8, 2011
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Two Connecticut murder convicts who were freed last year when a state judge declared them innocent are now facing the possibility of returning to prison, after the state Supreme Court ruled Friday that the judge was wrong to overturn their convictions.
Justices in a unanimous decision ordered a new appeal trial for George Gould and Ronald Taylor, who had served more than 16 years in prison for a 1993 New Haven killing. The two were freed on April 1, 2010, after Rockville Superior Court Judge Stanley Fuger ruled they were victims of “manifest injustice” and declared them “actually innocent” after a key prosecution witness recanted her testimony at trial.
The Supreme Court, however, said Fuger’s ruling was wrong because Gould and Taylor didn’t prove their innocence. Justices ordered a new trial for the two men, related to their habeas corpus appeals that Fuger decided in their favor.
Article: Associated Press
(Reuters) – Consumers who illegally download copyrighted films, music or television shows might see their Internet speed slowed or access restricted under an industry anti-piracy effort announced on Thursday.
U.S. Internet service providers, including Verizon Communications Inc, Comcast Corp, Time Warner Cable Inc, Cablevision Systems Corp and AT&T Inc agreed to alert customers, up to six times, when it appears their account is used for illegal downloading. Warnings will come as e-mails or pop-up messages.
If suspected illegal activity persists, the provider might temporarily slow Internet speed or redirect the browser to a specific Web page until the customer contacts the company. The user can seek an independent review of whether they acted legally.
Internet access will not be terminated, according to a statement from the industry partners behind the effort. The coalition includes groups representing movie studios, independent film makers and record labels.
The group argues that content piracy costs the U.S. economy more than 373,000 jobs, $16 billion in lost earnings and $3 billion in tax revenue each year.
ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) – Casey Anthony, the Florida woman acquitted this week of killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in 2008, has rejected a visit from her mother scheduled for Friday evening, a jail official told Reuters.
Cindy Anthony, a familiar fixture throughout Casey’s trial, scheduled a visit at the jail with Casey for 7 p.m. on Friday.
“This morning under policy, Casey was told of the visit and she has declined the visit so it will not occur,” said jail spokesman Allen Moore.
Moore said Cindy would be notified of her daughter’s decision.
Mark Lippman, the lawyer for Casey’s parents, told Reuters during the trial that Casey had cut off communication with Cindy and George Anthony.
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Reigning AL MVP Josh Hamilton grabbed the foul ball that ricocheted into left field and tossed it into the stands, as he has countless times before.
Shannon Stone caught the ball but tumbled over a railing and plunged 20 feet onto concrete below, right in front of his 6-year-old son and a handful of fans. The 39-year-old firefighter from Brownwood died at a hospital a short time later, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office said.
Shannon Stone’s mother, Suzann Stone, told The Associated Press that her son and young Cooper had gone to the game in hopes of catching a ball in the stands. They even stopped on the way to Arlington to buy a new glove for the boy, whose favorite player is Hamilton.
Article: Associated Press
The city of Daytona Beach Shores has agreed to pay $195,000 to settle a federal lawsuit claiming four exotic dancers and two female bartenders were illegally strip-searched in 2009 during a raid on the bar where they worked.
U.S. District Judge Mary E. Scriven signed off on the settlement Wednesday.
Most of the settlement will go to pay attorney fees, said New Smyrna Beach attorney Brett Hartley, who represented the six employees of Biggins Gentleman’s Club. The dancers and bartenders will receive $5,000 each, he said.
Four dancers and two bartenders will receive $5,000 each after attorney fees
The federal suit stemmed from a September 2009 raid at the club, conducted after undercover police officers had conducted controlled buys of drugs within the club, Hartley.
None of the six represented by Hartley were named in arrest warrants as a result of the investigation, he said.
One dancer was found to have a marijuana cigarette, but a misdemeanor drug-possession charge was later dropped, Hartley said.
Article: Orlando Sentinel
- Trouble Under Water
- The 5 Steps after a Car Accident
- Better Not Bite – Dog Safety
- Life-Saving Laws of Cycling
- Mother gives birth to quadruplets while battling cancer
- Veteran gets a ‘smart’ home
- 17 foot pregnant python found in Florida
- Colorado Theater Massacre
- Nazi suspect arrested in Hungary
- Mentally disabled daughter left at a bar intentionally
- Wisconsin Coach punches teen player after a loss
- Drunk driver kills pregnant woman, baby critical condition
- Woman catches baby who falls three stories
- Colorado Waldo Canyon Wildfire
- Bus monitor is bullied by students
- June 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (2)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (6)
- June 2012 (8)
- May 2012 (11)
- April 2012 (7)
- March 2012 (1)
- November 2011 (10)
- October 2011 (1)
- August 2011 (43)
- July 2011 (48)
- June 2011 (53)
- June 2010 (39)
- May 2010 (27)
- April 2010 (57)
- March 2010 (168)
- February 2010 (144)
- January 2010 (119)
- December 2009 (8)
- November 2009 (164)
- October 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (29)
- April 2009 (61)
- March 2009 (140)
- February 2009 (156)
- January 2009 (151)
- December 2008 (143)
- November 2008 (113)
- October 2008 (192)
- September 2008 (88)
- August 2008 (8)
- July 2008 (29)