April 10, 2009
Not only were children abused by a staff member at a Kennesaw day care center, but other employees knew it was happening, according to two lawsuits filed last week.
In one case, a lawsuit alleges, a 4-year-old boy was locked in a dark bathroom and later choked until he couldn’t breathe. In another case, a girl was hosed down in front of others after a toilet accident. She was also hit in the face, according to her parents.
“This is unacceptable behavior,” said Marietta attorney James Balli. Balli represents both families that have filed lawsuits against Great Expectations Child Development Center, its owners and staff members.
The parents filing the suits say the abuse took place last fall, when both children were enrolled in the state-funded pre-kindergarten program. Both have since left the center.
Each suit seeks at least $2.5 million in damages.
Read Article: Atlanta Journal Constitution
Two disbarred lawyers convicted of scamming their former clients in a diet drug case out of millions of dollars must forfeit $30 million, a federal jury ruled Tuesday.
Former attorneys William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham also must turn over an unspecified amount held in separate accounts, jurors decided. That could be as much as $20 million more, said Angela Ford, an attorney representing the victims in a civil case against the two lawyers.
“The jury’s decision appears to make a lot of sense,” Ford said. Gallion and Cunningham were convicted last week of scamming their former clients out of $94.6 million while representing them in a case involving the diet drug fen-phen. Prosecutors said the two scammed about 440 clients who had been hurt using the drug, which was taken off the market after being linked to heart valve problems.
Read Article: USA Today
A consultant hired by Imperial Sugar issued a report warning the company about dust hazards at its Georgia refinery two days before a deadly explosion fueled by sugar dust erupted at the plant near Savannah. The Savannah Morning News reported in Tuesday editions that consultant McAljon Engineering warned the company that the refinery’s dust collection systems were impaired in a report dated Feb. 5, 2008.
Two days later, a massive explosion tore through the plant, killing 14 workers and injuring dozens more. Imperial Sugar said in a statement Tuesday it did not receive the consultant’s report until after the blast occurred. Federal investigators later blamed the explosion on sugar dust that ignited like gunpowder.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration said last July that Imperial Sugar executives knew about dust hazards at the plant. The agency said its investigation of the Georgia explosion found company audits, insurance records and other documents showing the company had been warned about combustible dust hazards at its plants several times since 2002.
Read Article: Houston Chronicle
T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and 12 other companies have agreed to pay a total of more than $1 million in civil penalties for failure to report safety hazards promptly, government officials announced Tuesday.
The companies were penalized for failing to promptly report sales of children’s clothing with drawstrings through the hood or neck, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said. These drawstrings can get caught in nearby objects and cause children to get trapped or strangled.
“My message to children’s clothing makers and sellers is clear: Drawstrings on children’s garments put children at risk,” said acting CPSC chairwoman Nancy Nord. “CPSC will continue to search for and take action against drawstring violators.”
Read Article: Chicago Tribune
A military team sent to evaluate electrical problems at U.S. facilities in Iraq determined there was a high risk that flawed wiring could cause further “catastrophic results” — namely, the electrocutions of U.S. soldiers.
The team said the use of a required device, commonly found in American houses to prevent electrical shocks, was “patchy at best” near showers and latrines in U.S. military facilities. There also was widespread use of uncertified electrical devices and “incomplete application” of U.S. electrical codes in buildings throughout the war-torn country, the team found.
At least three U.S. service members have been electrocuted in Iraq while taking showers in the six years since the U.S.-led invasion of the country.
Read Article: Detroit Free Press
« Older Posts — Newer Posts »
- The Danger of Worn Tires
- Going to a D-Backs Game This Summer?
- Summer Pool Safety Tips in Phoenix
- Mourning the Yarnell Hill Fire Tragedy
- Trouble Under Water
- The 5 Steps after a Car Accident
- Better Not Bite – Dog Safety
- Life-Saving Laws of Cycling
- Mother gives birth to quadruplets while battling cancer
- Veteran gets a ‘smart’ home
- 17 foot pregnant python found in Florida
- Colorado Theater Massacre
- Nazi suspect arrested in Hungary
- Mentally disabled daughter left at a bar intentionally
- Wisconsin Coach punches teen player after a loss
- October 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (2)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (6)
- June 2012 (8)
- May 2012 (11)
- April 2012 (7)
- March 2012 (1)
- November 2011 (10)
- October 2011 (1)
- August 2011 (43)
- July 2011 (48)
- June 2011 (53)
- June 2010 (39)
- May 2010 (27)
- April 2010 (57)
- March 2010 (168)
- February 2010 (144)
- January 2010 (119)
- December 2009 (8)
- November 2009 (164)
- October 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (29)
- April 2009 (61)
- March 2009 (140)
- February 2009 (156)
- January 2009 (151)
- December 2008 (143)
- November 2008 (113)
- October 2008 (192)
- September 2008 (88)
- August 2008 (8)
- July 2008 (29)